Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Watercolored Cupcakes

An afternoon of cancelled meetings led to this: experimenting on a summer cupcake flavor for Pipino. I've always wanted to bake a vegan and naturally colored rainbow cake (that's all I wanted for my birthday last year) so I decided to just face the challenge myself. This is my take on rainbow cake happiness, infused with my own watercolor style. ;)

Art imitating life, or life imitating art? Based on real cupcakes, I painted these for our dessert menu, and now, it serves as inspiration for a new cupcake flavor!

THE RECIPE:
 1) DRY BOWLSift 3/4 cups flour + 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1/8 tsp baking powder + 1/8 tsp salt

 2) WET BOWLWhisk 1/2 cup almond/rice/soy milk (any will do but for this recipe, I used almond) + 1/2 tsp vinegar. Add 1/4 tsp vanilla + 1/4 cup oil + 1/3 cup sugar + 1/3 cup coconut cream

3) ADD DRY TO WETUse an electric mixer and incorporate dry ingredients slowly.

 4) DIVIDE THE BATTER
 5) ADD SOME COLORPink = 1 tbps of boiled & mashed red beets
Yellow = lemon zest & lemon extract color/flavoring
Green = green tea powder, or blueberries + yellow color
Orange = Red + Yellow (you knew that!)

6) LINE THE MUFFIN PAN & POUR
(This is the best part! Look at those colors!)Layer the colored batter one on top of the other. Use the spoon to drizzle specks of color on top. This recipe makes 6 cupcakes.

7) BAKE190 degrees C, for 20 minutes.
Let it cool for about 15 minutes before applying frosting.
I just spatula-ed the icing on messy...it's a watercolored cupcake, after all!