Monday, February 13, 2012

Wabi-Sabi Noodle House & Vegetarian Grocery + Cooking Class in Bangkok

This weekend, I was craving for only two things: pizza or ramen. On Saturday, I got my vegetarian ramen fix at one of my favorite places, Wabi-Sabi in The Collective. I've heard a few rumors that it had already closed, but I texted their number listed online and was happy to know that they were open until 11pm on Saturday. Although it was kinda sad because when we entered The Collective, all the other shops were closed. Did I go at a bad time? But it was a Saturday night! I really do hope that people will keep supporting local art, music, food and design so that those businesses stay afloat. We need more cool places like this in the country (that are NOT shopping malls).

When it comes to Asian cuisine, it's difficult to find anything that can compare to dishes that are prepared in their own home country. I've eaten the best ramen in my life in Nagoya, Japan, in this restaurant that served ramen and ramen ONLY. (Yeah, THAT's how confident they are about their product). The best Pad Thai I've tasted is from the cooking class Patty, Muffin and I attended in Bangkok, taught by Angsana Anderson. It was so good that when my mom went to Bangkok, I asked Angsana to send my mom some noodles and tom yang goong to her hotel room, just so that my mom could finally taste what I had been raving about.
When in Bangkok, sign up for a cooking class at www.thaihomecooking.com
and taste the best pad thai in the world! ;)
Patty, Muffin & me

Anyway, back to reality. There are but few places in Manila that are both simple AND delicious: no frills, not too artsy fartsy plating, reasonable prices, with food that tastes just as it should. Wabi-Sabi goes straight to my "I could eat here everyday!"-list of restaurants. If only I lived closer to it. ;P

Harumaki = Spring rolls with banana blossoms
Veggie Cracklings served with vinegar = chicharon
I had the Viet Pho.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wabi-Sabi Noodle House & Vegetarian Grocery

Suite B, The Collective 
7274 Malugay St., San Antonio Village
Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines 

(+63 918) 450-1714

Operating Hours
Monday - Thursday 12:00pm - 9:00pm 
Friday - Saturday 12:00pm - 11:00pm